Thursday, October 8, 2009

First Day Out of the Hospital

Today was pretty exhausting, not because anything went wrong (at least not so far) but because we are realizing how incredibly difficult it is to not live right down the hall from our little babies. We spent most of the day at their bedsides and while we wish we could be there all day and night, we know that's not exactly practical. So, we are settling for small little blessings that happen throughout the day.

While we were switching back and forth from one isolette to another today, I told Rich that I just wish I could be there every time they wake up. I want our faces to be the first faces they see when they open their eyes. With the amount of sedation that Zoe is on, she sleeps for most of the day so she doesn't open her a eyes a whole lot . . . so as long as I can sit by her side and read to her, and let her know we're there, I'm okay. But Sadie does wake up every day and she opens her tiny little eyes and looks around. We don't get to see her do it that often because she spends most of each day sleeping and growing. But today, as if she had heard me, or knew what I needed, she did it. Just as we had returned from getting a bite to eat, we walked up to her isolette. And there right in front of us, she opened her tiny little eyes and we were the very first things she got to see.




While Zoe doesn't open her eyes a whole lot each day, she does sleep rather peacefully, even on the ventilator. And even though it's hard to see her face with the ventilator covering it, trust us when we say that she is cuter and cuter every single day. Especially because a lot of her swelling has gone down, she's been weaned off two of her medications, and she is functioning so well while only getting 40-50% oxygen from one of her machines. Here's our little pumpkin fast asleep and adorable:



5 comments:

Heidi Siddoway said...

You are right!! They are cuter than the last pictures... I love the little wrinkles in Sadie's forehead when she is looking at you. I am so glad to hear that everything is going well. Please let me know if there is anything you two need.
You are in our thoughts every day!
Love, Heidi and Gary

mMc said...

I love the pillow resting between Zoe's legs -- she looks so comfy and cozy! We are teaching Maggie their names for when you all come back east.
Please let us know if there is anything you all need. Now that I know you are reading to the girls, we'll send a few of Maggie's favorites!
Lots and lots of love,
M, M & T

Sara said...

SO CUTE, Debbie! I'm glad things are going smoothly...

Unknown said...

so adorable! thinking about all of you!
xo crocketts

Meg said...

What beautiful daughters you have. Love the pics! So glad Sadie gave you that little boost.