Monday, September 28, 2009

Infection?

We woke up on Saturday morning, so grateful to be back in our room, not in a threatened emergency, and able to have breakfast. At about 8:00 a.m., the nurse came in. She wanted to run another non-stress test (NST). This is the same test the docs had been running for 9 hours the day before so we were definitely not happy to hear that news, but of course, we knew that it was best for the babies. So they did the test, everything looked great, and the nurse sent the results over to the doctor.
In the mean time, my friend had come to visit and Rich felt comfortable enough to head home, check in on the kitties and refresh. Not 10 minutes after he'd left and my friend and I were chatting did the nurse come back and say that the doctor wanted to bring us BACK over to labor and delivery right away. Apparently, there was some uterine activity during the NST that worried the doc. In particular, she was worried that I was cooking up an infection.This is very scary news because when a person's membranes have ruptured, the risk for infection is high and once an infection sets in the docs have no choice but to deliver the babies right away.

So, my friend and I gathered up my things, I loaded up into a wheelchair and they took me over to labor and delivery. As soon as I got there, the nurse told me they were going to run three different tests, all of which I knew were quite painful, and, based on what we had previously been told, were last resort tests. In other words, while we knew there were certain tests the docs could do to assess how my body was doing, the risk of infection that accompanied those tests was high enough that they wouldn't do them unless they absolutely had to. So, when I heard they wanted to run three of them, my heart sank while my blood pressure and pulse sky rocketed. At that point, I figured I better call Rich, who was half way up the canyon toward our house, but who promptly turned around and sped back to the hospital.

To make a long story short--I sat in labor and delivery--fasting and stressing for about 24 hours. But . . . all the tests came back negative, the babies seem to being doing great, and after a long sleepless night we were finally able to head "back home" to our room again.

On Sunday we spent most of the day sleeping and catching up, counting our blessings that we didn't have to deliver the babies. We essentially did the same thing today with a little less stress. Our morning tests went beautifully and the doctor was very pleased. I also got an A+ on my CBC this morning. My white blood cell count is low and everything looks great. No infection and no baby distress--just another routine day at the hospital.


No comments: